Why Web Security is ImportantVisibleOne
Your website is your online storefront that serves as the first contact with customers. The Internet presence of your business is more than just creating a website and attracting visitors to increase traffic and boost sales. Even a small business website has to assess security often.
Website security is a critical element of protecting your brand. Website security is the practice of protecting your computer systems and networks from attacks. It relies on using different technologies, processes and controls to reduce the risks of cyber-attacks, and protect businesses from unauthorised exploitation of their computer systems.
Every day millions of people use the Internet to shop or look for information. Most websites collect confidential user data including name, address, email and credit card number. No one wants his or her personal data falling into the wrong hands because of hacking. If your website is not safe and secure, your business relationships can be compromised. So protecting your website from hackers and malwares is a must. In fact, Google reported that hacking had increased 180%. Startling statistics like these should make you wonder…
How do you protect your online presence from hacker masterminds?
Cyber-attacks is any malicious attempt by a third party that targets computer information systems, infrastructures, computer networks or personal computer devices, using various methods to steal, alter or destroy data or information systems.They can come in many forms, and they all depend on what the criminal hacker is trying to gain. They can be:
- Malwares – an all-encompassing term for a variety of unwanted software including Trojans, viruses and worms that is installed in your system without your consent. Malware is simply defined as code with malicious intent that typically steals data or destroys something on the computer.
- Phishing – a type of scam where hackers try to gain access to a network via sending emails that appear to be from trusted to have you provide sensitive information, to gain network access.
- Password Attacks – often use some type of automated system to perform the attack in which different password combinations are used to try to gain access to a network.
- Drive-by Downloads – targets a user through their Internet browser, installing malware on their system as soon as they visit an infected website. It doesn’t require any type of action by the user to download.
- “Man in the Middle” (MITM) – an attacker alters an online information exchange, impersonating them both to manipulate both victims and gain access to their data. The users are not aware that they are not talking to each other, but are actually communicating with an attacker.
Even if you think that there’s nothing valuable on your website or that you’re too small to be targeted, it doesn’t make you an exception. An unprotected website is a security risk to your partners, customers and other businesses. Regardless of the size of a business, web security is important.
As with most types of cyber-attacks, vigilance is one of the important keys to prevention. As cyber criminals become more refined, the number of threats to people and businesses continues to grow. So take time to secure your systems and make cyber security a priority.
Get in touch with us to find out how we can help keep your website safe and secure.